Germany is famous for its Kraut. However there are a lot more dished made from different kinds of cabbage. This one is from the southern parts of Germany. Most people buy it ready made in jars or tins yet it is easy to prepare.
For: 4 people
- 1 red cabbage 1 kg approx.
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves
- 1 cm cinnamon
- 150 mL orange juice
- lard or vegetable oil for frying
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cut the cabbage into four pieces, remove the stalk and cut the leaves into fine strips.
- Mix the cut leaves with salt, sugar and vinegar, knead well and let rest for a while - best over night. Some liquid will come out. Keep it well.
- Cut the onion into fine cubes, sweat them in lard or oil. Add the cabbage leaves (without liquid) and sweat. Add the liquid and spices. Let it cook at low heat for about 1 hour.
- Taste with salt, sugar, and orange juice. Add some butter to your liking.
This is usually served as a side dish to a roast with Spätzle or bread dumplings.
If like you can also add apples, oranges, plum jam, chestnuts, …